The McMillan Building was formerly known as Ward 34 West and was built in 1956 to house male geriatric patients. A recreational garden was created behind the building that was enjoyed by both patients and staff. The housing director shifted the patients to another location in 1974 and Ward 34 West was used for forensic patients with criminal backgrounds who had to be housed in a secure location.
Today, the offices of Alabama Heritage are to be found in the McMillan Building on the second floor and has called the McMillan Building home since 2021. Alabama Heritage is the state’s premiere historical publication and is published by The University of Alabama, The University of Alabama at Birmingham, and the Alabama Department of Archives and History. Beloved Alabama author Fannie Flagg, author of Fried Green Tomatoes, said that Alabama Heritage magazine “should be read by every Alabamian young or old. It is always interesting and informative.”
The James B. McMillan Building is also home to the University of Alabama Press. The press was established in 1945 by President Raymond Paty and is the only academic publisher in the state. In 1964, the Press joined the American Association of University Presses. The press touts that it “publishes books that foster an understanding of the history and culture of this state and region.” The press publishes between eighty and ninety books a year and has more than 1,300 titles in its backlist.
The McMillan Building is also home to the Psychology Clinic, which benefits the mental health of our community, along with the Crimson Calling Center, which is an integral part of the The University of Alabama National Alumni Association.
You can find the James B. McMillan Building at 200 Hackberry Lane.