All roads lead to Rome--or do they? The Old Federal Road, or also known as Old Byler Road could swing the vote. Governor Bibb approved construction of the road in 1816, and, when completed, it was named after its promoter, John Byler, in 1822. The Old Federal Road connected Southwest Alabama to places as far as the Tennessee Valley and became an important route for commerce and military transportation. Having first been proposed in 1806, the original route was designed to help the postal service transport letters and goods from the US Capitol to the rest of the country. Its active years are long gone, and it is now considered a historical monument; however, the Old Federal Road still has many tales to tell.
Alabama Heritage BLOG
At Alabama Heritage, we owe many of our successes and smooth operations to our fabulous student interns. We hope that with this blog--written mostly by our interns as well as history students from UAB and a few from our own editors--our readers will have an opportunity to get to know the students who bring so much to the table with their enthusiasm, hard work, and expertise!
If you're interested in our internship program, check out the details here.